The bride and groom who were left feeling ‘dead inside’ after more than 100 people died when a fire broke out at their wedding in Iraq have said they have had to move away after the horrific incident.
Haneen and Ravan were slow-dancing at the wedding venue in Qaracosh, near to the city of Mosul, when their big day suddenly descended into tragedy.
One survivor, 17-year-old Raniaa Waad, recalled seeing ‘fireworks starting to climb to the ceiling and the whole hall went up in flames’.
She told news agency AFP: “We couldn’t see anything. We were suffocating, we didn’t know how to get out.”
The blaze was rumoured to have stemmed from indoor fireworks, but Revan said it may have started in the ceiling of the building.
Speaking to Sky News, he said: “It could be a short-circuit, I don’t know. But the fire started in the ceiling.
“We felt the heat… When I heard the crackling I looked at the ceiling.
“Then the ceiling, which was all nylon, started to melt. It only took seconds.”
The couple said they feel ‘dead inside’ and ‘can’t speak’ after the tragic incident. Credit: Sky News
A large number of the bride and groom’s friends and family were killed after the blaze ripped through the venue in Iraq’s Nineveh province, including 18-year-old Haneen’s mother and brother.
During the interview with Sky, Haneen was unable to say a word as she was so devastated.
Her husband told the outlet that their happiness has been ‘destroyed’, meaning they’ll have to move.
“That’s it, we can’t live here anymore,” he said.
“I mean every time we try to have some happiness, something tragic happens to us and destroys the happiness so it’s best for us to leave.
“[Haneen]’s lost 10 relatives from her family, her loved ones, her mom, her brother. She can’t speak.”
Revan remembers how there was a power cut just before their first dance, after which he noticed flames in the ceiling as the lights came back on.
Tragedy stuck at their wedding after a huge blaze broke out. Credit: Sky News
The newlywed husband spoke of how he had to rescue his new wife, dragging her to safety when she couldn’t escape herself because of her long wedding dress.
He said: “I kept dragging her and trying to get her out of the kitchen entrance. As people were fleeing, people were trampling on her.
“Her legs are injured. Our relatives, our friends, our loved ones are all gone.”
While the day was supposed to be the happiest of his life, Revan said he and Haneen were understandably devastated.
“Inside we are dead,” he said.
“We are numb. We are dead inside.”