A factory worker manually bottling ketchup at the Heinz factory in the late 1890s.
The H. J. Heinz Company was a food processing company headquartered at One PPG Place in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The company was founded by Henry J. Heinz in 1869. The company leased several buildings until 1890. In 1884, Heinz purchased several lots on the north bank of the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh. From 1888 through 1906, approximately twenty buildings were built or purchased, mostly of wood and beam construction. From 1906 through 1930, new buildings in the complex were made of steel and concrete instead of wood.
Through the 1930s and 1940s, many surrounding houses and small commercial buildings were demolished to accommodate parking lots for the plant.
From 1999 to 2001, Heinz built a 70,000-square-foot warehouse on the east side and moved its headquarters to downtown Pittsburgh.
On July 10, 2002, the historic complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the “H.J. Heinz Company”. In 2005, the complex was documented as part of the Historic American Engineering Record.